Residents were shocked after severed human body parts were found at Ketewel Beach, Bali, on Thursday (Feb. 26, 2026). Photo: Gianyar Police Documentation.
GIANYAR, Bali — Severed human body parts were discovered at the mouth of the Wos River in Banjar Keden, Ketewel Beach, Sukawati District, Gianyar Regency, Bali, on Thursday (Feb. 26) at around 10 a.m. local time. The discovery has drawn significant public attention, including from Bali’s international community.
The case is being examined in connection with the reported kidnapping of a Ukrainian national, identified by the initials IK, who was allegedly abducted in the Jimbaran area of Badung Regency on Sunday (Feb. 15). However, police emphasized that the victim’s identity has not yet been confirmed and is pending DNA analysis.
Read also: Ukrainian Kidnapping Claim Emerges in Bali
Bali Police spokesperson Senior Commissioner Ariasandy said the Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) team, along with the police medical and forensic laboratory units, has collected DNA samples from the recovered remains.
“The DNA samples will be compared with those of family members who have reported a missing person or kidnapping, including the foreign national reported earlier,” Ariasandy said on Friday (Feb. 27).
Authorities have also coordinated with the Ukrainian Consulate to obtain a DNA sample from IK’s mother. The sample will be sent to Indonesia for matching.
“We cannot speculate. All possibilities are being investigated, but conclusions must be based on scientific investigation and forensic results,” he said.
In a video circulated following the reported kidnapping, IK was seen with tattoos on his chest and arms. During preliminary examination, investigators noted a Roman numeral clock tattoo on one of the severed arms. Police have not confirmed whether the tattoo matches that of the missing Ukrainian national.
The body parts were first discovered by a resident exercising near the river mouth. The remains reportedly included a head, right leg, upper chest sections, thighs, and partial internal organs.
All recovered parts have been transported to Prof. I.G.N.G. Ngoerah General Hospital in Denpasar for further identification. Forensic specialist Dr. Nola Margaret Gunawan said the remains were in an advanced state of decomposition upon arrival and estimated the victim had been deceased for more than three days.
Visual identification is not possible due to the condition of the remains. The forensic team is awaiting official requests from investigators to proceed with external examination, autopsy, and DNA analysis.
Investigators from Gianyar Police and Bali Police are continuing to comb the area for additional remains. Authorities stressed that identification and any determination of links to the reported kidnapping case will rely strictly on verified forensic findings.