Bungee jumping at Nusa Penida, now under scrutiny over safety and permits.
DENPASAR, Bali — A bungee jumping attraction on Nusa Penida, an island marketed globally as a pristine adventure destination, is alleged to have resumed operations despite an official shutdown order. The claim has reignited concerns over safety, regulatory enforcement, and the persistent gap between policy decisions and on-the-ground reality in Bali’s tourism sector.
The attraction is located near Kelingking Beach in Bunga Mekar Village, Nusa Penida, Klungkung Regency—an area known for dramatic cliffs and challenging access. The bungee jumping site was previously ordered to cease operations alongside a controversial glass elevator project, following a decision by a special committee of the Bali Regional House of Representatives (DPRD) overseeing spatial planning, assets, and licensing.
Despite the shutdown, social media activity suggests otherwise. The Instagram account @xparkbali last posted bungee jumping content on Tuesday, January 27, 2026. A reposted video from @bianca_barlow included the caption, “@xparkbali reopened! Round 2?”, implying renewed activity at the roughly 130-meter-high structure.
Local authorities have acknowledged receiving reports of the attraction’s apparent reopening. Dewa Putu Suwarbawa, Head of Klungkung’s Civil Service Police Unit (Satpol PP) and Fire Department, said on Wednesday (January 28) that his office was informed by the Nusa Penida subdistrict head that the bungee jumping operation had resumed.
“This information reached us as of yesterday. The subdistrict head reported that the bungee jumping business is operating again,” Suwarbawa said when contacted.
According to Suwarbawa, any renewed operation would constitute a direct violation of the sanctions imposed on the operator, as licensing issues remain unresolved. Beyond administrative breaches, he emphasized the safety risks, noting that the attraction is located in a steep ravine area and classified as an extreme tourism activity—one that demands strict oversight and compliance with safety standards.
A joint enforcement team involving Klungkung Satpol PP and Fire Department, Bali Satpol PP, and the Nusa Penida Police was deployed to the site on Thursday morning (January 29, 2026). The team was tasked with verifying the situation and, if necessary, enforcing a renewed closure.
“We dispatched Satpol PP personnel from mainland Klungkung this morning. We are still awaiting a full report from the field,” Suwarbawa said.
Meanwhile, Komang Suantara, Director of PT Bina Nusa Properti and a representative of the operator, claimed he was unaware of any renewed operations when contacted by detikBali.
“Good morning. I’m not aware of that information yet. I haven’t received any official summons,” Suantara said.
This case underscores a recurring problem in Bali’s tourism governance: decisions made at the policy level often struggle to hold firm against commercial pressures on the ground. When extreme tourism facilities continue—or appear to continue—operating without clear permits and verified safety assurances, the risk is borne not only by thrill-seeking visitors but also by local communities and Bali’s global reputation.
Adventure tourism cannot be built on regulatory shortcuts. If Bali is to remain a credible, safe destination rather than a cautionary tale, enforcement must be consistent—and shutdown orders must mean exactly that.