Australian Man Dies in Bali After Emergency Passport Was Not Processed

Australian Man Dies in Bali After Emergency Passport Was Not Processed

Illustration.

DENPASAR, Bali – An Australian man dies in Bali after an emergency passport request was not processed, raising questions about consular response during a medical crisis overseas.

Wayne Harvey, 69, an Australian expatriate who had lived in Bali since 2018, was admitted to Puri Raharja Hospital in Denpasar on Christmas Eve 2022 with suspected appendicitis. He underwent surgery, but complications followed, according to his son, Jake Harvey.

Hospital staff later advised that Wayne should be transferred to Prof. Ngoerah Public Hospital for more advanced care. However, the transfer was reportedly delayed because his passport was missing — a document said to be required for administrative clearance.

On January 1, 2023, Jake contacted Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) through its 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre, explaining that his father was unconscious and critically ill. He requested an emergency passport to facilitate the hospital transfer.

According to Jake, consular officials declined to discuss details or process the request without Wayne’s direct consent, citing Australia’s Privacy Act.

Over the following two days, Jake repeatedly emailed and called the consulate, sending photos and videos showing his father on life support. In one message, he wrote:
“This is taking too long … I am sick to death of hearing about the privacy policy.”

On January 3, the consulate emailed a summary of Wayne’s condition based on information from an on-duty nurse, stating that his condition was “stable” and had improved, though noting the hospital was not up to Australian standards. Jake says this contradicted information he was receiving from doctors and a family acquaintance in Bali.

He again asked whether the consulate could assist in retrieving or issuing the necessary passport documentation to enable a transfer. He says those emails went unanswered.

Wayne Harvey died at Puri Raharja Hospital on January 7, 2023. His body was later moved to the hospital initially recommended for referral.

Delayed Response and Internal Review

Jake lodged a formal complaint two days after his father’s death. He says no response was received for more than two years.

In mid-2025, after sending another follow-up email expressing frustration, DFAT responded approximately 27 months after the initial complaint. In an October 2025 letter, Assistant Secretary for the Consular Branch Paula Brewer confirmed an internal review had been conducted and issued an apology.

“We understand your concerns regarding your interactions with the Consular Emergency Centre,” Brewer wrote. “In your father’s case, it appears we did not fully appreciate the seriousness of his medical condition.”

DFAT later stated it could not provide further details due to privacy policy constraints.

The case has drawn attention to the balance between privacy protections and emergency intervention in overseas medical crises involving Australian citizens.

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, this article may contain minor inaccuracies in names, locations, or event details. Readers are welcome to contact the editorial team for any clarification.

Comments are closed.