Igor Komarov.
DENPASAR, Bali – Indonesian police have confirmed through DNA testing that mutilated human remains discovered along Bali’s eastern coast belong to a missing Ukrainian national.
Bali Police spokesperson Senior Commissioner Ariasandy said laboratory tests conducted at the National Police Forensic Laboratory Center in Jakarta matched the DNA profile of the recovered body parts with genetic samples provided by the victim’s parents.
“The DNA profile from the body parts we submitted was compared with reference samples from the victim’s parents. The results showed a match,” Ariasandy said in Denpasar on Wednesday.
The remains were first discovered by residents on Feb. 26 near Ketewel Beach in Sukawati district, Gianyar regency. A search along the nearby river estuary and coastline later uncovered additional body parts, including the head, torso, arms and legs.
Because of the advanced condition of the remains, visual identification was impossible. Investigators sent six bone samples to the national forensic laboratory for DNA analysis.
The results confirmed the remains belonged to Igor Komarov, 28, a Ukrainian national who had previously been reported missing.
In a parallel development, Bali Police’s General Crimes Directorate said forensic testing also found that bloodstains discovered at a villa and inside a Toyota Avanza in Tabanan regency matched the DNA profile of Komarov’s mother.
“The blood splatters found at the villa and in the Avanza suspected to have been used by the perpetrators have been tested, and the results are identical to the victim’s mother’s DNA,” Ariasandy said.
Police believe Komarov was transported in the vehicle and held at the villa in Tabanan before his disappearance. Investigators described the forensic findings as crucial in reconstructing the sequence of events using scientific evidence.
Earlier, police said Komarov was abducted on Feb. 15 in Jimbaran. CCTV footage later tracked a car and two motorcycles traveling between Tabanan and Badung regencies, believed to be linked to the suspects.
Authorities have arrested one suspect, identified as C, in West Nusa Tenggara, and have named six foreign nationals — identified by the initials RM, VK, AS, VN, SM and DH — as suspects in the alleged kidnapping.
The six suspects have been placed on the wanted list, and Bali Police have requested Interpol red notices to support an international manhunt.
Police said four of the suspects have left Bali, while two are believed to still be in Indonesia.
C was detained last week in West Nusa Tenggara. Investigators said he allegedly rented a vehicle using a fake passport, which was later used in the abduction of Komarov.
He told police he was unaware the vehicle would be used in a crime and said he had been asked by others to rent the car in exchange for Rp 6 million (about $350).
“Fugitive status and red notices have been issued. We continue to coordinate with relevant parties for the arrest process,” Ariasandy said.
The body parts recovered in Gianyar were transported to Prof. Ngoerah Hospital in Denpasar for medical and forensic examination before DNA samples were sent to Jakarta.
Police said the investigation is ongoing to determine the motive behind the alleged kidnapping and killing and to establish the role of each suspect.
“We are continuing to develop the case and pursue all individuals involved,” Ariasandy said.