Four Suspects Leave for Australia as Police Probe Perth Man’s Death

Four Suspects Leave for Australia as Police Probe Perth Man’s Death

Illustration.

DENPASAR, Bali — Four foreign nationals suspected of assaulting a Perth man in Bali left Indonesia for Australia a day after the alleged attack, as police investigate the circumstances surrounding his death.

Paul Innes Dougan, a Perth father, died at BIMC Hospital in Kuta at around 12:06 p.m. on Thursday, August 20, after receiving medical treatment following the alleged assault at a bar in Legian, Kuta, Badung.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 5. Police received a report from Paul’s family on August 20, the same day he died.

Denpasar Police Chief Kombes Pol. Leonardo David Simatupang said investigators had identified four men suspected of being involved in the alleged assault.

Police inspect the scene of the alleged assault in Kuta, Badung. (Photo: Bali Police)

The four suspects, identified by their initials as RGG, PAM, JRM and TRZ, are Australian nationals, according to the police chief. Immigration records showed they left Indonesia for Australia through I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport on August 6, one day after the alleged incident.

Police are reviewing CCTV footage, amateur video recordings and statements from witnesses, including Paul’s family, security personnel and employees at the venue where the alleged assault took place.

Investigators are also working with forensic doctors and the hospital to establish whether the injuries allegedly suffered by Paul were connected to his death.

“We are still examining the connection between the victim’s medical condition and the alleged assault,” Leonardo said.

Police said they would not draw conclusions before all available evidence, medical records and forensic findings had been examined.

Paul remained at his hotel in Kuta for several days after the alleged assault. On August 8, staff from Murni Teguh Hospital picked him up from the hotel for medical treatment.

The following day, August 9, his son, Liam Michael Dougan, took him to BIMC Hospital, where he was admitted through the emergency department and received further treatment.

Paul was pronounced dead at BIMC at around 12:06 p.m. on August 20. His body was later transferred to Dharma Yadnya General Hospital in Denpasar.

Liam had previously said on Instagram that his father was the victim of a “brutal attack” involving suspected Australian tourists. He said CCTV footage showed a group of four people allegedly beating his father while he was on the ground.

According to Liam, Paul suffered multiple broken ribs and required major surgery and blood transfusions. These details have not been independently verified.

The family also launched an online fundraiser to help cover Paul’s medical expenses during his treatment in Bali.

Police said Liam has filed a police report in connection with the incident.

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities work to establish what happened at the Legian bar, the respective roles of the four suspects and whether the alleged assault was connected to Paul’s death.

.

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, this article may contain minor inaccuracies in names, locations, or event details. Readers are welcome to contact the editorial team for any clarification.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *