
Firefighters extinguish a blaze at Suwung Landfill in Denpasar on Saturday (August 22).
DENPASAR, Bali — A fire broke out at Suwung Landfill in Denpasar on Saturday (August 22), burning an estimated 15-by-5-metre section of accumulated waste.
The fire was reported at around 12:05 p.m. local time and was quickly brought under control after the Bali Forestry and Environment Agency (DKLH) deployed two water tankers equipped with nozzles.
DKLH Bali head I Made Dwi Arbani said the fire was extinguished within 17 minutes, at around 12:22 p.m.
Three excavators were also used to move the waste and open up the affected area, allowing crews to reach the fire and prevent it from spreading.
“We had already prepared two water tankers with nozzles. That is our standard operating procedure in an emergency,” Arbani said at the scene.
Firefighters then carried out cooling operations to ensure there were no remaining hot spots.
The affected waste had been cleared and rearranged by the afternoon, with no visible flames remaining at the site. Landfill operations also returned to normal, with waste trucks allowed to resume entering the facility at around 2 p.m.
Arbani said hot weather was a condition being closely monitored at the landfill, as high temperatures can increase the risk of fires among accumulated waste.
However, the specific cause of Saturday’s fire has not been confirmed.
The DKLH Waste Management Unit keeps two water tankers on standby as part of its emergency response measures. The agency also regularly sprays water across the landfill, typically once a week, to help control temperatures within the waste.
Additional spraying is carried out when necessary, particularly when conditions increase the risk of fire.
The latest incident comes as authorities continue to maintain emergency measures at Suwung Landfill, which has experienced fires in the past.