Evacuation of a foreign national swept away by floodwaters and found trapped in a drainage culvert in Tibubeneng Village, North Kuta, Badung, Bali, Sunday (Dec 14, 2025). (Photo: Badung Police)
DENPASAR, Bali – Bali floods kill foreign national after heavy rain battered the island from Saturday (December 13, 2025) to Sunday (December 14, 2025), causing flooding in several areas across Bali. A foreign national was found dead after being swept away by floodwaters while riding a motorcycle.
In several parts of Denpasar and Badung, floodwaters reached waist level on Sunday afternoon. A number of residents were evacuated using rubber boats.
The worst flooding was reported along Jalan Kunti 2 in Seminyak, Kuta. Floodwaters also inundated Widuri Permai Housing Complex on Jalan Gunung Athena 2, Denpasar.
“We are currently conducting evacuations. I’m on my way there,” said Denpasar Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) Secretary Agung Surya when met on Jalan Gunung Athena, Denpasar, on Sunday.
Flooding also submerged Jalan Tangkuban Perahu area in Kerobokan, Badung. A total of 20 residents in the area were evacuated starting at 2:30 a.m. local time.
According to Agung, two residents at Widuri Permai Housing Complex were also evacuated on Sunday morning. Meanwhile, dozens of other residents chose to remain in their homes.
“They refused to be evacuated. Some houses are only one story, but because the land is at a higher elevation, they chose to stay,” Agung said.
Agung explained that water pumping efforts had been carried out since 8:00 a.m., but flooding had not fully subsided due to high water discharge.
“Pumping efforts have been ongoing, but they have not been fully effective,” he added.
Meanwhile, residents along Jalan Perum Buana Permai, Denpasar, began cleaning household items after floodwaters receded in the area.
“Many belongings could not be saved,” said Umi Habibah, a resident of Perum Buana Permai.
A female foreign national was killed after being swept away by floodwaters on Jalan Krisnantara, Tibubeneng Village, North Kuta, Badung, on Sunday morning. The victim’s body was found lodged inside a drainage culvert. Her identity has not yet been confirmed.
PS Head of Public Relations Subsection of Badung Police, Aiptu Ni Nyoman Ayu Inastuti, said the victim was swept away by strong currents during heavy rain early Sunday morning. Prior to the incident, the victim was reportedly riding a motorcycle through floodwaters.
“The victim, a foreign national whose identity is still unknown, was swept away by flood currents while passing through Jalan Krisnantara, Tibubeneng Village, North Kuta, Badung,” Inastuti said.
“The victim was found trapped between the bridge wall and pieces of wood lodged beneath the bridge,” she added.
According to Inastuti, the motorcycle ridden by the victim could not yet be evacuated because it was wedged inside the drainage culvert and water discharge remained high.
“The vehicle cannot be evacuated yet because it is trapped inside the bridge culvert,” she said.
Head of Denpasar Search and Rescue Office, I Nyoman Sidakarya, said his office received information about the discovery of the body at around 8:05 a.m. local time. Five SAR personnel were deployed from the Jimbaran office in South Kuta.
“Five personnel were assigned to carry out the evacuation. According to reports, the victim was located below and trapped near a pipe,” Sidakarya said in a written statement.
During the evacuation process, floodwater levels were reported to be at waist height. Sidakarya said heavy rain caused water discharge to continue rising.
“Rain conditions caused water levels to keep increasing, prompting SAR teams and residents to evacuate the victim as quickly as possible,” he said.
The victim was found topless and wearing only black long pants. The body was evacuated to Prof Ngoerah General Hospital in Denpasar at around 10:30 a.m.
Dozens of foreign tourists were evacuated after the villas where they were staying in Denpasar were flooded. They were forced to relocate and seek new accommodation for safety reasons.
One of the evacuated tourists, Latai, an Australian national, said the villa he stayed at on Jalan Gunung Athena, Denpasar, was flooded up to thigh level.
“We were evacuated because of flooding, but we have already booked another villa,” Latai said on Sunday.
Latai said he had only stayed at the villa for one night. Heavy rain reportedly began at around 10:00 p.m. on Saturday.
The rain continued through the early hours of Sunday. Although his room was not flooded, water had pooled in the front yard of the villa.
“Our villa has two floors, so it was actually safe. But we decided to book another villa outside this area, maybe in Seminyak or Kuta,” he added.
In contrast, Amy, a tourist from China, and three of her companions suffered material losses after electronic equipment was damaged by floodwater. Water entered their villa located at Jalan Gunung Athena No. 3 Block C.
“Our computers and electronic equipment were damaged by water,” Amy said.
Despite the damage, Amy chose to stay at the villa due to the large amount of personal belongings she had.
“I have many belongings in the villa, so I’m not moving,” she added.
Agung Surya said that as of 1:23 p.m. local time, 20 foreign nationals had been evacuated from villas along Jalan Gunung Athena 2, Denpasar.
“There was a request for evacuation using rubber boats earlier. I asked for assistance from Balawista. They wanted to relocate,” Agung said.
He added that many villas near Widuri Permai Housing Complex were flooded. The evacuated foreign nationals came from various countries, including Australia, Singapore, China, and India.
Flooding was also reported in Baktiseraga Village and Pemaron Village, Buleleng Regency. Head of Buleleng BPBD, Gede Suyasa, said the Rapid Response Team conducted assessments in Pemaron Village and found ankle-deep water on the main road.
Traffic conditions in the area were reported to remain safe and passable, with monitoring carried out by local police.
In addition to flooding, heavy rain caused a cashew tree to fall in Yadnya Kherti Hamlet, Ularan Village, Seririt District, at around 1:58 p.m. local time due to unstable soil.
The fallen tree, measuring approximately 60 centimeters in diameter, temporarily blocked access to the village road. The situation was handled by the rapid response team along with local residents and authorities.
“No casualties were reported. The village road access has now been cleared,” Suyasa said.
Authorities confirmed monitoring would continue and further updates would be provided to the public.