Tourist in Viral Canggu Salon Dispute Detained for Visa Overstay

Tourist in Viral Canggu Salon Dispute Detained for Visa Overstay

German and Norwegian nationals transferred to Rudenim Denpasar, August 12, 2026. (Photo: Rudenim Denpasar)

DENPASAR, Bali — A Norwegian tourist who went viral after a dispute over a Rp600,000 beauty treatment at a salon in Canggu has been detained by Indonesian immigration after being found to have overstayed her visa by 34 days.

The woman, identified by her initials NF, 25, was transferred to the Denpasar Immigration Detention Centre (Rudenim Denpasar) after immigration officials discovered that her Visa on Arrival (VoA) had expired on July 7, 2026.

NF previously made headlines after a dispute with staff at a beauty salon in Canggu, North Kuta, over an eyebrow treatment. She reportedly declined to pay the Rp600,000 bill, saying she was dissatisfied with the result.

The dispute was later settled through mediation.

On August 10, NF and representatives of the salon went to the North Kuta Police Station, where the two sides reached an agreement. Immigration officials from the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office subsequently checked NF’s immigration status.

The check found that she had overstayed her permitted stay by 34 days, a violation of Article 78(2) of Indonesia’s Immigration Law No. 6 of 2011.

NF said she had previously received treatment at a hospital, which delayed her plans to extend her stay. She also said she had spent her remaining money on daily expenses and could no longer afford the immigration fees or a flight home.

She was initially held at the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office for three days from August 10 before being transferred to Rudenim Denpasar on the afternoon of August 12.

A second foreign national, a German woman identified by her initials KAH, 33, was transferred to the detention centre on the same day in a separate immigration case.

KAH, who was born in Ansbach, Germany, was found to have overstayed her permitted stay by 84 days. She was taken into custody by the Intelligence and Immigration Law Enforcement Division of the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office.

KAH also said she had run out of money to cover accommodation, extend her stay and purchase a flight home.

She was held at the immigration office for two days before being transferred to Rudenim Denpasar.

Rudenim Denpasar Head Teguh Mentalyadi confirmed that the two women were handed over to the facility on August 12.

“On Wednesday, August 12, 2026, we received the handover of two female detainees from Germany and Norway from the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office. They have now been placed in the residential block at Rudenim Denpasar in a safe and orderly condition,” Teguh said, as quoted by detikBali.

He said the detention was part of the administrative immigration process while authorities prepared the necessary documents for their return to their respective countries.

NF’s case is receiving particular attention because of her medical condition, Teguh said, adding that authorities would seek to expedite her deportation.

“Regarding the Norwegian national, NF, there is special attention concerning her health condition. Therefore, we will immediately arrange an expedited deportation process,” he said.

NF’s family has also agreed to cover the cost of her flight back to Norway, according to Teguh.

Both women remain at Rudenim Denpasar while immigration authorities complete the administrative process for their deportation.

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, this article may contain minor inaccuracies in names, locations, or event details. Readers are welcome to contact the editorial team for any clarification.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *